“Bulimia Nervosa” is commonly termed as “Bulimia
”. If someone is eating heavy or binging and followed by an act of purging, particularly in cycles of event, then the person can be diagnosed as suffering from Bulimia. There are 2 forms of Bulimia, one is Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa. Study shows most of the Bulimic cases are women, and 1 to 2% of the population will suffer Bulimic conditions at least once in a lifetime. Bulimic conditions usually affect the mental health by causing depression, mood problems and personality disorders. A person suffering from Bulimic conditions, feel that they have no control over their eating habit. Binge eating disorder is a different kind of disorder, where the person involves in binge eating and never in purging.
Causes Of Bulimia
First the person should know about the causes of the disorder in order to tackle it successfully. Note that causes cannot be the same for everyone, it may differ from person to person. Check out the following list to know whether a person is suffering from Bulimia…
- Check if a person is overly obsessed with body shape and weight.
- Absolutely no control over the eating habit. Sometimes overeating can lead up to physical discomfort.
- A regular cycle of overeating and extreme fasting.
- Over exercising to reduce or control the body weight gained by overeating habit.
- Repeated vomiting can lead to puffy cheeks.
- Bulimia may be genetic in nature, studies show that bulimic disorders occur to people among relatives.
- Studies reveal that, serotonin levels in the blood can also cause bulimia symptoms.
- This binging and purging can be caused by or related to stress.
How To Tackle Bulimia?
Uncontrolled bulimia will lead to life threatening disorders and severe mental health problems. So, it’s better to find the symptoms early and start tackling the conditions as early as possible.
- If the symptoms are clearly showing that the person is having Bulimia, then check with your doctor.
- Since this disorder is related to mental health, first thing should be, is to admit that you are suffering from Bulimic conditions.
- Bulimia should not be kept in secret. Talk to a person who is successfully out of Bulimic disorder.
- Importantly, stay away from conditions or places that create a temptation to involve in binge eating.
- The first phase of any bulimia therapy will start from breaking the binge and purge cycle.
- The second phase will concentrate on identifying the beliefs of the person about health, body shape and body weight.
- Some other emotional issues may have caused this binge and purge condition. So it’s necessary to find the emotional issue that has caused this bulimic condition.
- For persons suffering from Bulimia, showing love and emotional support, helps them to overcome the disorder in less time.
- Avoid negative comments about the person, show good examples of body and health maintenance.
It is accepted in medicine world, that bulimia cannot be cured by medicines alone. They need support and self help to overcome Bulimia.